Its all Greek to Me

Or maybe not, since I am quite fond of the Greek cuisine. Now only if someone could teach me how to pronounce the names correctly! But the best part is whatever the name of the dish is, it always tastes super delicious and is always so healthy. 

So I've always been partial to a few things Greek. My first brush with the Greek culture began, not with food, but with the super funny movie- My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I loved it! In the movie, they were all loud and into each other's business all the time and their lives revolved around food. Ring a bell? 

Whenever the name Greece pops into my head, I immediately think of Athenos, the white houses on the hills, Mamma Mia (not the greatest movie choice, I know!), the turquoise waters, Grecian Goddess dresses, and last but not the least- the delicious Mediterranean food. 

I was out dining with my dear friend 'A' over the weekend, and I ended up ordering, once again, the Greek Salad. I told you, I'm partial to it! I decided enough was enough. I didn't really know why I was eating the really simple salad at a restaurant when I could be making it at home.





Probably the easiest salad to assemble and tasty to eat. Originally Greek Salad uses cucumber, tomatoes, red onions, kalamata olives, light dressing and a topping of Feta Cheese. 

I like my salads a little more colourful, so I went ahead and added some bell peppers along with a lettuce head and replaced Kalamata olives with green and black olives.

Btw, did you know Greek Salad was called 'Horiatiki Salata' or was it just me whose head was burried under the sand until now?!
Here's how you can make it too

Serves: 4

Complexity: **

Time taken: 15 mins

Ingredients

1 medium lettuce head, Romaine if you can find it, torn into bite sized pcs
2 large tomatoes/1 pint cherry tomatoes, cubed/ halved
1 large red onion, thinly sliced in half moons
1 english cucumber 
1 cup of pitted black and green olives
1 medium red, green and yellow bell pepper each
crumbled feta cheese as per requirement

Salad Dressing

1/2 cup Olive oil
1/2 cup Lemon juice/ red wine vinegar
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 garlic cloves

Method

Chop up the veggies into similar bite sized pieces. All pretty. 



Tear the lettuce leaves and make a bed of leaves at the bottom of the bowl


Now add all the veggies to the bowl. So colourful. Can you imagine how nutritious its going to be?! Don't forget all the flavours...mmmmm..... 



In a small jar, pour in all the dressing ingredients. Make sure you either pass the garlic through a press or grate it finely. Lid the jar and shake shake shake. The dressing will be emulsified and ready to use. Drizzle over the salad



Top off the salad with the delicious salty, crumbly, feta cheese. Go with as much or as little you want

Toss, add your pinch o' love and toss again. You can serve the salad just as it is or you could go ahead and use it like I did for Chicken Gyro (recipe follows). Indulge! :)  


Oh this is what inspired me never to order a Greek salad when I was at a restaurant and instead make it at home. Can you see the teensie plate behind my BIG glass of the strawberry drink?! It was delicious, no doubt, but I'd rather have something I made, wouldn't you? :) 









Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts