Christmas Cupcakes

Me: Its almost Christmas time *humming 'Tis the season to be jolly*

Mum: Its still more than a month and a half away

Me: Yeah!!! Its almost here!!

Mum: You're such a kid!

Me: Christmas, Santa, Good food, the carols, fairy lights.....whats not to like?! I'm going to the kitchen because I can't wait for christmas anymore

Mum: *sigh of exasperation* Will you ever grow up!!

Me: Nah ah!! not in this life time.....

There is a lot more to that conversation but I think you got my drift.

Long story short, I went to the kitchen and made these beautiful cupcakes that tasted absolutely like Christmas!!!

Trust you me!

Ginger!! Cranberry! Lemon!! And that beautiful dusting of sugar that makes it look like snow... I'm in heaven!



Also, don't go by the looks of these babies, they look a bit sunken because of my airhead brain. I added baking powder twice by mistake and then tried scooping out the excess but it was done. So the cakes rose more than required and then deflated a little. But the taste, the texture... 'Tis the season to be jolly, fa lala la la la lala ...

Serves: 12 cupcakes

Time taken: 40 mins

Complexity: **

You'll need

100 gms butter

1 cup plain sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
3 medium eggs 
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries (use 1 cup fresh ones if available)
zest of 1 big or 2 small lemons
1" pc of ginger
Pinch of love

Method

Preheat your oven at 180C or 350F


Line your baking tray with the cupcake liners



In a large bowl, take the butter. Make sure its at room temperature. 



Throw in the cup of sugar



Whisk till they become all fluffy. Crack open the eggs and add them to the bowl. Give a good whisk. 



Add in the vanilla extract



After whisking, grate in the piece of ginger. Make sure your ginger is young and fresh so the flavour packs a punch. You could even strain the ginger and just add the juice.



Zest in one lemon



Give the cranberries a rough chop and add them to the bowl of flavours



Next add in the mixture of flour n baking powder. Don't be like me. Remember to add baking powder only once.



Now fold in the flour with the wet ingredients till everything is well combined.



Spoon in a couple tbsp of batter into each mould. How pretty the tray looks!! Place it in the oven for baking



This is almost 7-8 mins later when I realised the cupcakes were rising a little too much and I heard alarm bells ringing!



But don't worry, Kitchen adventures are the most fun ones!! Everything turns out well in the end! 

I took out my cupcakes after 25 mins. I always turn around my tray at about 15 minutes so the cupcakes get to bake evenly in the oven. Mini Volcanic mountains. The sides were a little hardened so they had a texture like cookies! 

I mean come on!!! Cookies and cupcakes in one!!! 



How beautifully crumbly yet moist they are.....and ohhh myyy the flavours!! I had to pass these cupcakes on to a friend for a party she was having at her place and she told me how much everyone loved them! 



Just give it some dusting of icing sugar.... *sigh* ....snowflakes.... 



Your imperfectly perfect cupcakes with the flavours of Christmas are ready to eat!! Indulge! 





Comments

Popular Posts